Web site Offers Skincare and Beauty Advice to Meet Unique Needs of Teens With Darker Skin
(ARA) - Acne-prone teens with dark complexions have skincare and makeup problems unique to their darker skin tones, and also have difficulty finding skincare information that speaks directly to their needs. Now, teens with complexions ranging from the darkest shades of black skin to lighter olive-colored skin, can get expert skincare and makeup advice on www.pimpleportal.com.
Jeanine Downie, M.D., a dermatologist based in Montclair, N.J., recognizes the frustration darkly complected teens experience. "People with darkly complected skin, which can include persons of African-American, Asian, Latino, Mediterranean and Native American heritage, must cope with controlling their acne and are also more prone to scarring. Furthermore, they often have difficulty finding skincare information that addresses darker skin, and don't know that a dermatologist can provide treatment to help with their specific needs."
Celebrity makeup artist Michael Criscuolo, whose high-profile client roster includes supermodels Naomi Campbell and Tyra Banks, also knows that darkly complected skin requires a bit of extra attention when it comes to finding the right shade of foundation and cover-up. "Women with dark complexions sometimes have difficulty finding a natural shade of makeup to conceal blemishes and scars," says Criscuolo. "However, new lines of makeup that cater specifically to those with darker skin tones allow the skin to appear flawless, and best of all, natural."
Named one of 2000's "Best of the Web" by Access Magazine and awarded a Gold Triangle Award by the American Academy of Dermatology for furthering public understanding of dermatological issues, www.pimpleportal.com provides information for teens to help them cope with, cover-up and conquer breakouts and other skin problems. Dr. Downie and Michael Criscuolo offer teens with dark complexions the following advice:
Dermatologist Jeanine Downie's professional advice includes:
- HANDS OFF - No matter what your skin color, adopt a strict "hands off" policy since picking leads to permanent scars. Darker skin is more prone to scarring and hyperpigmentation (a dark spot that remains on the skin after the pimple is gone).
- AWAY WITH ASHINESS - Since dark skin can be extra sensitive, teens undergoing acne treatment often experience dry skin or ashiness. To avoid this condition, use a non-comedogenic, oil-free moisturizer all over the face in addition to your daily zit-fighting regimen.
- TREATMENT X 2 - Black skin undergoes a two-step process during acne treatment. First, a dermatologist will probably prescribe a treatment to reduce and prevent breakouts. After existing acne is under control, some African-Americans require additional treatment for hyperpigmentation. Dr. Downie advises her patients to start each morning by washing with a cleanser containing alpha hydroxy acids and applying a bleaching agent like hydroquinone to treat dark spots. At night, Dr. Downie's patients treat skin with a pimple-fighting product like RETIN-A MICRO (tretinoin gel) microsphere, 0.1%, to prevent future breakouts, and again apply hydroquinone cream to even out skin tone.
Celebrity Makeup Artist Michael Criscuolo's expert advice includes:
- GET EVEN - Darker skin tones tend to have more variations in shading than lighter skin tones. For those who lack an even complexion, match your foundation as close to your natural color as possible, then, using a large blush brush, swirl (almost like a car wash buffer) powder over your entire face for the appearance of evenness.
- YOU GLOW, GIRL - If you suffer from oily skin, counteract oil slicks by applying a light layer of loose powder over your makeup. Keep your powder puff with you for touchups during the day.
- BROW BEATER - Some African-American women have coarse or uneven eyebrows, so they choose to trim the hair and define the brow line. To create natural looking brows, use a brow pencil in your natural hair color and draw in brows. Be sure to use feather-like strokes so the line doesn't appear too bold or unnatural. If your brows are a bit thicker, apply an oil-free hair gel to hold hairs in place.
Visitors can log on to www.pimpleportal.com for additional skincare and makeup information. In addition, teens can subscribe to "What's Popping," a free monthly e-mail newsletter in which dermatologists and other skincare experts share information and "tricks of the trade" in dealing with a variety of skincare and makeup issues.
RETIN-A MICRO starts working in as little as two weeks, with full results after seven weeks. Unprotected exposure to the sun or tanning lights, extreme wind or cold, or use of irritating skin-care products may aggravate the skin. The most common adverse reactions to RETIN-A MICRO were limited to mild or moderate irritation of the skin. For specific questions pertaining to RETIN-A MICRO, visit www.retinamicro.com.
About The Author
Courtesy ARA Content, www.ARAcontent.com; e-mail: info@ARAcontent.com
This article was posted on January 17, 2002
Proactive Facial Cleanser For Acne - Acne can be a tough problem to fight but it can be done. The question always becomes what is the best acne treatment? The answer is always the same, the product that works for you is the best treatmen ...
Acne Care Treatment - The causes of acne are tied to the changes that happen when a child passes from infancy to puberty. Many persons still believe that acne is caused by ...
6 Steps to Clear, Acne-Free Skin - 6 Steps to Clear, Acne-Free Skin Hundreds of medications, treatments, cleansers and cosmetics are available for people with acne, but the most important elements of an acne-fighting program won’t c ...
Effective Treatment Options Available for Moderate to Severe Acne - Suffering from even a minor acne flair up can wreck your week, but suffering from continual moderate to serious acne can ruin your self esteem. There are options that can help you if you have moderate ...
Natural Acne Treatments - At some point in your life you will probably suffer from acne. Almost everyone does. There has been a great deal of news about acne treatments recently with many claiming a combination of an acne prev ...
Acne Treatment Tips - Acne is a broad term which includes blemishes, blackheads, and whiteheads. Acne can strike at any age. Effective acne treatments are sometimes difficult to find, and understanding acne and prevention ...
For a Complete list of Articles with summaries Click Here